Once you decide that you’re ready for home ownership, develop a home buying checklist.
The list should be wants and needs to help your realtor find your dream home.
Buying a house brings up many questions and ideas of what’s important.
Choosing a home isn’t just about selecting or building your dream house, it’s also about finding the right neighborhood for you.
Things to consider when choosing your neighborhood:
- Do you want to be in a family neighborhood?
- Do you want to be near a playground?
- Do you want to be close to your child’s school?
- Do you want to bike along the lake?
- Do you want to be close to public transportation?
- Do you want entertainment within reach?
- Do you have easy access to loved ones?
Location Considerations: Rate items from 1-10 with 10 being the most important.
____ CTA (L. Subway, Buses)
____ Street Parking
____ Expressway Access
____ Public Schools
____ Private Schools
____ Houses of worships
____ Community Centers
____ Mature vs. Growth Area
____ Zoning, future possibilities for development
Which features do you want?
What do you want your new home to have?
Create a list of needs and wants for your new home. Making your every wish come true begins with the knowing what you really want in your next home.
Here’s a list of questions to keep in mind when choosing your dream home:
- Do you want to entertain in a spacious dining room?
- Do you want to park in a two-car garage?
- Do you want to relax in front of a fireplace?
- Do you want a backyard where your dog can play?
- Do you want laundry in your home?
Property considerations: Rate items from 1-10 with 10 being the most important.
____ Single-family home
____ Guest Parking
____ Energy efficient/utility costs
____ Broadband Wiring
____ New Construction
____ Brick construction
____ Frame construction
____ Single floor or multi-level
____ Recreation facilities in multi-unit condos
Which interior considerations are must have?
Here is a list of interior considerations for your dream home.
____ Master Bedroom
____ Master bath
____ Eat-in Kitchen
____ Gourmet Kitchen
____ New appliance
____ Dining Area/ Room
____ Den/ Office
____ Wood Flooring
____ Whirlpool bath
____ Guest closet
____ Ceiling height
____ Central air
____Forced air heat
Now that you’ve completed all preliminary steps on the home buying checklist, you’re ready to start searching. Make sure to print this out to start your search.